5 Things To-Do Prior to Starting a Physician Job Search
In our previous blogs, we discussed some tips on how to land your dream job now that you’ve completed your medical residency. We’ve also touched on the importance of formulating a plan B and C in case things don’t go as planned. Starting a physician job search can be daunting especially because its your first time. However, to ensure that your physician job search is successful, below we’ve provided some tips on things you should do prior to starting your physician job search as well as some reasons why you should work with a physician recruiter like MASC Medical.
5 Things To-Do Prior to Starting your Physician Job Search
1. Understand the Type of Job You Want – Prior to conducting a physician job search, you need to evaluate, ask questions and understand the type of job and benefits you want. Ask yourself questions like:
- What type of salary are you looking for?
- What kind of benefits would you like?
- Do you want hospital employment or private practice?
- How many hours per week are you willing to practice (full or part time)?
- How many patients are you comfortable seeing/treating per day?
2. Setup a Google Email and Voice Account – If you don’t have a professional email account, recruiters won’t take you seriously. Therefore, setup a professional Google email account prior to your physician job search. In addition, create a Google voice account. Google voice allows you to obtain a free phone number and forward the calls to your cellphone. You can also customize appearance, voicemail, availability etc. Make sure both your Google email and voice accounts are listed on your CV/resume.
3. Set Up “Job” Alerts – Set up job alerts on employment websites / job boards such as Indeed, Monster, Glassdoor etc. Having these alerts on will allow you to get “pinged” every time there is a job that matches your qualifications. When jobs are available, you can easily apply as your information is already on file.
4. Evaluate your References – As you start your physician job search, evaluate your references. Your references should include people that can highlight your skills, accomplishments etc. Once you determine who these reference are, check in with them to let them know they might expect a call or email from particular companies.
5. Hire a Physician Recruiter – Looking for a job can be a full-time job. Therefore, we recommend hiring a physician recruiter to help ease your physician job search. Physician recruiters are known for their “connections” including list of extensive networks in the industry, job insights, and flat fee typically paid by the client (recruiting company). Remember, physician recruiters have your best interest in mind and want to find solutions that are beneficial to you and the healthcare employer.
To partner with MASC Medical, simply connect with one of our physician recruiters.
MASC Medical is a leading, nationwide full-service healthcare staffing firm. Recognized as one of the best physician recruiting firms in the country, we proudly tailor our healthcare staffing services to Physicians, Mid-Level Providers, Dentists, Allied Health, and Executives.